Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My date with the NY MOMA


Oh New York. 
I'm smitten with you once more. 
Sigh.

The city was more than welcoming yesterday. 
Green lights all blinked in our favor. 
The sun reflected springtime off high rise windows adding a certain sparkle to the passerby's eye.
The smell was light and inviting.

I played hooky from slinging beer & escaped
to the city as I had a brief date with the 
NY MOMA.
Really, I had put on my cheerleading pants & along with Colleen Davis  - 
we went in support of our friend Randall Sellers who was giving a short lecture on his work at the museum.

 What a glorious day for art, sushi, meeting new friends 
and seeing parts of the upper west side that I haven't explored before.  
Crossing the George Washington Bridge was a grand first too.

Like a giddy school girl, I had to bite my lip during the presentation 
when two of the artists went all juvenile sexual tension talk about their work. 
Specifically the first artist who had shown handfuls of drawings which consisted of hockey players naked from the waist down, their genitalia flacid, large and red.  There was a female artist who seemed to have obsession with vagina which she constantly referred to as "crotch".  It was hard not to chuckle - but I managed somehow.

Unfortunately, swine flu crept up on us 
everywhere we went. 
A bike messenger flew by with a mask on reminding us that fear was in the air.
The newspaper on the empty bar stool next to me screamed of the first official 
NYC death while we mingled with a disgruntled NYC artist who bragged of his frequent, recent trips to Mexico...in between coughing.  
Thank the Goddess I brought the anti bacterial hand stuffs.  
Randall thanked me too. 

One of Randall's works - 
'Raven' featured above was drawn just 
before the H1N1 outbreak occurred. I
Ironically enough, the woman in the 
picture is looking at Mexico.


Beautiful day to you.
XO



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you and Colleen came to NYC and helped cheer me on and that we got to hang out a little after! Thanks for your kind words here too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.